Answer each of the following questions by clicking in the diamond to
the left of the possible answers. There is only one correct answer to
each question. After answering all the questions, click on the button
at the bottom of the page that says 'Submit quiz for scoring'. Your
results will be displayed automatically. Good luck!
1. What feature does the chain of craters road follow ?
Kilauea Crater rim
Southwest Rift Zone
East Rift Zone
2. What was formed when highly fluid lava from Mauna Ulu
ran through part of a rain forest ?
3. What two interesting observations can scientists make about
a lava flow by studying tree molds ?
depth and direction of the lava flow
temperature and speed of the lava flow
distance the lava traveled
how long the eruption lasted
4. Step faults can easily been seen by looking south along .....
5. What is happening when you see a big cloud of smoke rising at the coast?
tree molds are being made
lava flows are entering the ocean
lava is crossing the road
a lava channel is being created
6. What equipment would you take for a climb on the Holai Pali?
a rope and other climbing gear
suntan lotion and a beach mat
strong boots and gloves
7. What gas is released (and ignited) as hot lava covers trees
and other organic material creating explosions ?
8. What town was destroyed by lava in the early 1990's, but
also where some of the best views of lava flows were to
be enjoyed ?
9. What type of lava is bright in most of the pictures due to the
sun's rays reflecting off the surface ?
10. What type of lava flowed over the Royal Garden subdivision
destroying over 100 houses between 1983 and 1986 ?
by P. Mouginis-Mark